Skip to content

Politicians Raise Concerns Over Fort Frances Mill

Ontario’s Natural Resources minister says he’s committed to helping find a new buyer for the kraft mill in Fort Frances.
Last week discussions over the sale of the mill broke off with Wisconsin-based Expera.
Bill Mauro admits wood supply is an issue, but doesn’t believe that’s the hold-up.
Mauro says the mill is still privately owned, it’s not in bankruptcy.
Fort Frances is asking the government to grant it an Enhanced Sustainable Forest Licence, to ensure a stable wood supply for the mill.
Mauro says at this point his ministry is not ready to give the town an Enhanced Sustainable Forest Licence.
Kenora-Rainy River MPP Sarah Campbell suggests the government could award a wood licence to the Town of Fort Frances with a stroke of a pen.

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to ONNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
Dryden, CA
3:45 am, May 22, 2026
weather icon 8°C
L: 8°H: 8°
UV Index:0
Precipitation:0 inch
Rain Chance:0%

What’s Trending