Premier Doug Ford arrived in Thunder Bay on Saturday to hear and see firsthand the province’s response to the wildland fire fight in northwestern Ontario.
There are about 191 fires actives, most in northwestern Ontario, that have burned more than 655,000 hectares.
Over 70 of the fires remain listed as not under control.
Ford was joined by Natural Resources Minister Mike Harris and Jill Dunlop, Minister of Emergency Preparedness and Response.
It is Ford’s first visit to the area since the wildland fire situation intensified last week.
Ford says suppressions efforts are focused on areas where they can be most successful.
Ontario is getting assistance from Alberta and the Yukon, but not the United States.
Ford says Minnesota was unable to provide support because it is focused on its own major fires, some burning in the northeastern part of the state and close to the border.
Ford noted that the Ontario Provincial Police and other emergency personnel were involved in 40 separate rescues of individuals from various areas.

He emphasized the importance of people not going to their camps or their homes for now.
“Do not, I repeat, do not go to your campsites. Do not go back to your homes,” says Ford.
“If they’re saying not to go back, don’t go back. We will find you a place, a hotel room, we’ll get you food, we’ll make sure you’re well taken care of.”
Ford intends to visit an evacuation centre in Thunder Bay and meet with emergency personnel providing support.
Harris arrived in northwestern Ontario on Friday night.
In a social media post, he indicates that he toured an area along Highway 11 near Atikokan that was previously burned over.
“The fire crews working this fire did an incredible job and were able to protect the camps and houses in the area,” states Harris.
“As you can see, there are areas where the fire was extremely hot and intense.”
Harris visited other sites, talking with some of the people involved in the fire fight.
He says the Ministry was preparing, but this year has been unprecedented.
“We’ve seen fire activity like never before, but our folks on the ground and in the air, and everybody that’s supporting have been doing an incredible job,” says Harris.
Despite the number of fires that are still active, Harris says things are trending in a very positive direction.
“Even over the last 24 hours, we’ve seen fire activity start to slow a little bit,” says Harris.
“The fires haven’t been growing quite as fast as they have been over the last few days with that little bit of rain that we got. uh What it does allow now is for hopefully the smoke to subside a bit.”
As many as 120 aircraft are involved, including 80 waterbombers, other aircraft and helicopters, capable of dropping waters on the rights.
Harris says between 30 to 40 support aircraft to move crews and equipment are also in use.
Harris also addressed concerns about the response and evacuation of Collins, responding to a question by Acadia News’ Sam Goldstein.
Dunlop brought a shipment of N95 masks to be available to a reception centre, set up in the city, for distribution.
“I want to thank all of our network of Ontario Corps. partners and my team on the ground here who is with Emergency Management Ontario for all the hard work they’ve been doing, not only here receiving evacuees but in the communities as well supporting that,” says Dunlop.

Minister of Jobs and Families and Minister, and Thunder Bay-Superior North MPP, Patty Hadju, acknowledged the partnership between the provincial and federal governments in providing assistance.
Hadju says it is all hands-on deck right now.
“A lot of people, rightly so, are afraid. They’re scared about their lives, their pets, their property, the future, the ability to breathe,” says Hadju.”
“But what doesn’t help with the fear is when people work at opposite ends. And so, the Prime Minister wants to be very clear that we’ll be there to support Ontario. We’ll be there to work hand in glove with Ontario, to make sure that we protect people, and we protect our region.”

President of the Northwestern Ontario Municipal Association and Marathon Mayor Rick Dumas, Shuniah Reeve Wendry Landry, Thunder Bay Mayor Ken Boshcoff, and other members of Thunder Bay City Council and administration staff are also in attendance.
Added files and photos from Sam Goldstein and Jacob Henriksen-Willis.


