Skip to content
Menu

Premier to visit northwestern Ontario

The Premier and his Natural Resources Minister are planning trips to northwestern Ontario to view the wildland fire situation.

Mike Harris is scheduled to arrive in Thunder Bay tonight, with Doug Ford arriving tomorrow.

It will be their first visits since the wildland fire situation started to increase last week.

Ford announced the planned visit during a media conference on Friday where he was joined by Harris and Emergency Preparedness Minister Jill Dunlop to address the province’s response to the wildland fires.

Ford insists every effort is being made to put them out and protect the public and area communities.

“We will not put a price on the safety of our communities, and I mean it,” says Ford.

“I say that we will spare no expense. I’ll repeat that, spare no expense, like we have year after year after year.”

Ford also applauded the job being done by the Ministry of Natural Resources fire crews and other agencies who are providing help in a support role.

“I want to thank the brave men and women who are working around the clock to fight these fires and protect their northern communities. And I want to assure them that we will have their backs no matter what.”

The Premier also lashed out at the opposition for politicizing the situation.

They claim that the province was not prepared for the magnitude of this year’s fire season, and that the Ministry was short on personnel, including waterbomber pilots.

Ford says the opposition is spreading inaccurate and untruthful information.

“In a time of a crisis, all levels of government need to come together, no matter if you’re opposition or not. But to go out there and try to scare people and put out blatant lies about the amount spent is absolutely disgusting on their behalf.”

Ford reiterated comments made on Thursday that the province added more personnel and announced plans to purchase more waterbombers in advance of the season.

  • Randy Thoms is a veteran news broadcaster with over 40 years' experience. He is based in Fort Frances and covers stories across northwestern Ontario. Contact Randy at thoms.randy@radioabl.ca.

    View all posts

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to ONNews@radioabl.ca.

What’s Trending