The province takes another step today (Tuesday) in easing COVID restrictions.
Premier Doug Ford says the biggest change is the lifting of Ontario’s proof of vaccination requirement for indoor non-essential settings.
This means that businesses will no longer be required to ask patrons for proof of at least two doses of a vaccine to allow entry.
“When we brought in these passports we said it would be time limited on the advise of Dr. (Kieran) Moore. Now we are taking the advise of Dr. Moore and getting rid of them and I’m always going to follow the advise of the Chief Medical Officer and Health and Science Table,” says Ford.
Businesses can, however, choose to keep the mandate active.
Vaccine requirements in industries such as long-term care and health care will remain in place for now.
Capacity limits in all other indoor public settings will also be lifted as of today.
Ford notes, “There’s no doubt. Still be cautious. This isn’t going to be the Wild West. Be cautious. We aren’t through this yet. We see light at the end of the tunnel, it’s getting brighter every day. But we’re just glad through the hard work of everyone in Ontario we’re able to take the next step.”
The mask mandate will remain in place for the time being, with Dr. Kieran Moore previously indicating that it will be lifted simultaneously across most sectors.
Premier Doug Ford says that the date could be after March Break.
Dr. Moore says if the need to wear masks is lifted, some may continue to choose to wear them and we should respect that choice.
“Masking does remain an important tool in our toolbox, and even when it’s no longer required in public settings it will continue to be an effective tool for reducing transmission and protecting those recovering from illness,” said Dr. Moore.
Dr. Moore says isolation requirements when you are sick will also be reviewed.


