Just two new wildland fires reported by the Ministry of Natural Resources on Monday.
It brings to 140 the number of fires still burning across northwestern Ontario.
Forty-seven are listed as not under control, with 6 listed as being held, and seven considered under control.
The two fires near Pickle Lake and near Sowden Lake in the Dryden Fire District were both small in size.
A fire that was burning in Neebing Township for the past week is among those that have now been declared out.
Wabikimi Provincial Park contains the region’s largest fire at over 318-thousand hectares.
The Ministry says it is still not under control, but favourable weather conditions helped crews make some progress in the suppression efforts.
Several FireRanger crews, helicopters and heavy equipment operators have been assigned to the blaze.
Weather is also helping slow the fire around the Lac Des Mille Lac (lack-deh-mill-lack) area.
It has been remapped and now listed as covering 51,806 hectares.
Firefighters from Alberta are joining with Ontario crews on the fire and are being supported by helicopters, which are dropping water on hotspots.
The fire burning in the northern part of Quetico Provincial Park is now identified as covering 41,830 hectares, but it too is not under control.
The Ministry says it has not seen any growth to the perimeter of that blaze.
Other large fires still considered not under control included one in the Harmon Lake area, north of Wabakimi Provincial Park, which has burned 44.954 hectares.
A fire northeast of Osnaburgh is mapped at 38,305 hectares, but that fire is one of 80 that are being observed as they are not posing any threat to the public or property.
Ontario has seen 562 fires since the start of this year’s fire season, burning 725,288 hectares.
The area burned exceeds last year’s total by over 125,000 hectares.


