Skip to content

Correctional Workers Reject Latest Contract Offer

It’s back to square one for correctional workers in Ontario, leaving staff in Kenora and Thunder Bay wondering what happens next.

Workers have turned down a tentative contract reached between the Ontario Public Service Employees Union and the Ontario Government.

OPESU says 67% of the membership turned down the three-year contract.

This comes on the heels of a riot and hostage taking incident at the Thunder Bay District Jail and another riot last week at the Toronto South Detention Centre, which sent five correctional officers to hospital.

The guard in Monday’s riot in the Lakehead has been identified as Murray Butler.

A union official says he’s resting at home with his family.

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to ONNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
Dryden, CA
7:42 pm, May 20, 2026
weather icon 12°C
L: 12°H: 12°
UV Index:0
Precipitation:0 inch
Rain Chance:0%

What’s Trending