Kenora-Rainy River MPP Howard Hampton is calling on the McGuinty
Government to roll out the dough earmarked for the forest industry.
Hampton says over the last year, the Liberals have pledged $500-million
for the ailing sector but have only spent $4-million.
The NDP Leader would like to see more money spent on energy efficient
equipment, so Mills can become more competitive and lower their costs.
He says most Mills in the North are barely hanging on and he expects to see more closures in the future
without immediate help.
Meantime, Northwestern Ontario’s struggling forest sector is being blamed for a layoff of 90
Abitibi-Consolidated Woodlands workers.
The staff supply logs to the Company’s Thunder Bay paper mill and were laid off Wednesday
for a period expected to last about 2 months.
Spokesperson Denis Leclerc says the 90 workers it let go won’t be recalled until
management has rejigged its woodlands operations, possibly to focus more on the harvesting of spruce.
More Forestry Layoffs, Cash Needed Now
Do you have a news tip?
Submit to ONNews@radioabl.ca.

